Why social media is good news for Small Business
If you haven’t heard about it already there’s a great American website call the Social Media Examiner and it contains a heap of great articles concerning new social media trends. Unfortunately it is based on American statistics but since their market is very similar to ours, we can take a lot away from it.
One such article is titled 26 Promising Social Media Stats for Small Businesses and it’s well worth a read. We’ll summarise a few of the most important ones here for you though and explain why they’re important; saves a bit of reading time!
1. There are now more than 800 million active Facebook users and over 200 million joined this year alone.
This means social media is on the rise, has a huge audience and therefore is a huge potential marketing avenue.
2. Approximately 40% of social media users access their accounts through mobile devices
This means you need to be mobile optimised so customers can access your website on the go.
3. Nearly 23% of online time is spent on social networks.
This means just having a website is not enough; you need to have a social media presence because this is where all those eyeballs are for a huge percentage of time spent online.
4. The average Facebook user has 130 friends and is connected to 80 pages, events and groups.
This means just securing one LIKE from one person means their entire network has seen the activity; exposing your company to more and more users and potentially more LIKES.
5. Comscore released a study earlier this year that showed how business brands that post at least once every day will reach 22% of their fans in a given week.
This means you need to commit to your Facebook page when you create it; don’t just leave it sitting idly in cyberspace. Update often and give your fans a reason to LIKE your page; offer them competitions, information and connection.
6. 51% of Facebook users and 64% of Twitter users are more likely to buy from the brands they follow.
This shows that customers are influenced by companies they follow on social networks; so you need to be at the forefront of their mind when they decide to purchase a product or service.
*You can read the entire article here or talk to one of the team at The Marketing Mix about how to set up your social media strategy.